Card SortingStructure information into reasonable groups.
When content or data is available, users can arrange them into groups or categories. This can prevent interruptions of user workflows and provide abstract insights on organizational structures. Card Sorting can also be accomplished online as an alternative to an in-person workshop scenario.
- Invite users to a neutral environment, e.g. an non-distracting office space so that everyone is able to focus on their tasks.
- Prepare small content or information snippets on cards. This can be any data point that you want to bring into a (new) structure in the context of all other relevant data points from the same data set, e.g. single pages of a website, that you want to re-categorize.
- Let groups of maximum four users sort the cards into groups that make sense for them.
- Let the user groups come up with names for the groups and have them write the group titles above the respective group of cards.
- Discuss the results within the team and align on a structure everyone agrees on.